Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Practice Day 1...

Day 1 was ehhhhh....50/50? Haha I dont know if I've ever been a great practice champion but today I dont think I was on the podium for the practice comp LOL. I felt super slow first 3 pedals and was having a rough time over the first jump. Its a short/low jump that the distance isnt far at all but I was still scrubbing too hard and managing to case it. I always have that habit that when I hit a jump going full speed I typically case it because I fight the transition so hard. I think it's because when you ride park and trails the lips are always steep and if your going fast you can easily scrub away speed and still overshoot things. Took me a good 5 attempts to get over it clean enough to fire out the second jump which was a big floater much taller and about 6feet longer. I had no problems with that one at all and the jump into the turn is a huge step double thing which some dudes were firing out in practice the whole set but its a bit slower and a long gap for sure. I played it safe jumping into it and rolling the top section into the turn. The turns are huge and really dialed, but they have a weird thing right now because since the Elite track shares our first straight the challenge side basically has 20 feet of flat room under the turn that if someone wanted to they could easily dive bomb a few guys if not the whole moto... I think they might put up some barriers/cones or lines to make people actually use the turn but who knows... Anyway the second straight is pretty easy 5 foot table thats about 15feet long just tap manual it and ur good, then a quick double thats about 16feet Id guess? I jumped about 30feet a few times on it. I guess you dont realize how fast your going until you overshoot the landing by 15feet and laugh at yourself LOL. Next double is about 25feet just a floater then a roller and a short step up into the turn... Good ol Tom Ritz built yet another rhythm section that is more than likely SICK on a 125 dirt bike, but on a BMX bike it felt pretty shitty. I saw a few guys take this jump line through that looks like it worked and helps you avoid the rollers that start at 2 feet and eventually build to 4 or 5 feet tall mid rhythm. This step up step down section will more than likely be the death of many, and it's exactly what had me watching the main last year after Tim Sonner couldnt navigate through it clean. Hopefully my short ass can manage to find the hot line through there or even just hold on enough to get to the last turn. The last straight is trash, just some crazy steep step with a very close steep roller directly behind it or something. Watching people go over it is comical and Im sure itll ruin some dreams in the next 72hours. Gettin back to the first straight, as of late my gates have been super dialed just timed perfectly and first few cranks on point. Not the case today by any means :( I felt late out of the gate and the supercross hill if your late youll know it right away because everyone has a first straight thanks to gravity. Im not trying to sound like a whiny lil beezy but it does suck that some guys with zilch in the power department are bangin bars with you when you know your a bit stronger than them. Its odd but whatever its worlds and thats what makes it special. Team USA had some notables with Padilla, Khoeler, and Bynloss all lookin way fast in practice. In my class Frank "The Tank" Hoskins was on the gas and looking damn good even up for the win if I had to pick a rider after seeing everyone today. I watched the SA practice because all my boys were ramping and David was on point as well as Dustin. The pride of SA Mr Chislett was going quick and will definitely not be giving up a W1 plate without a fight. Go od to see all the USA boys and had fun talkin shit with everyone :) Pics soon...

No comments: